Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting serious about working the band

Yesterday I listed the issues that are currently affecting my anxiety. Today I'm going to put together some clear goals as to how to deal with these problems. 


1. Keeping Noo active


This is a constant source of guilt for me. I know Noo wants to be outside running around all the time but I just can't provide that for him. I know he feels cooped up in the apartment, but what can I do? I think it is fair that I take him out for a play for half the day and the other half we spend in doors so I can do my study/blogging.


And we are often out more than half a day doing all sorts of fun stuff like swimming, walking, going to the zoo, the beach, the aquarium. And when we are home he has everything he could possibly want: all the toys, books and TV shows a kid his age could possibly need! And I don't just leave him to it. I'm always in the room with him and I talk to him while he plays on the floor and I work at the dining room table. Surely this is enough!


Thank goodness daycare starts back tomorrow so we'll both get some welcome relief.


Out and about in Hyde Park yesterday afternoon to check out
the Sydney Festival First Night event




2. Getting my diet back on track


OK, this is a big one. My next appointment for a fill is on Tuesday and then I'm going to start a version of the Liver Cleansing Diet. I haven't got the book but my sister and brother-in-law have done it several times and I've learnt the basics from them.


Basically the rules are you can eat as much as you like of the following:

  • Vegetables
  • Fruit
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Legumes
  • Cold pressed oils (eg extra virgin olive oil)
  • Lean white meat (eg chicken)
  • Fish (including prawns)
  • Eggs
  • Spices, vinegar, mustard - as long as it is not sweetened

I think I'll struggle with these after a fill, but also allowed are low GI carbs in moderation: 

  • Low GI pasta - spelt, brown
  • Low GI breads - spelt, sourdough and other whole grain breads
  • Low GI rice - Doongara Clever Rice

The following foods must be eliminated from my diet completely:

  • Dairy - I really don't like the idea of this because I think skim milk is an excellent source of calcium and it is not bad for you so I'm only going to do this for the first 10 days
  • Red meat (eg beef, lamb) - I'm not so keen on this because my iron levels are always low and as lean read meat is the best source of haem iron I'd rather not remove it completely but I'll do it for the first 10 days
  • Sugar has to go completely but honey is allowed which is great
  • No alcohol is allowed but that's no problem for me!
  • No caffeine is allowed. Hmmm. Not into this rule at all! I'll forgo cappuccinos for the first 10 days but my black coffee and Diet Coke stay  

Hardcore fact to think about to keep me on track: Just like alcohol and cigarettes, foods that are high in saturated fat and sugar are poison and can also cause death. 




3. Add some exercise into my week


For some reason I didn't have this one on my list yesterday but really it should be there. I haven't stuck to an exercise routine since 2009! That's a whole year without planned exercise and I really think if I'm ever going to get to my goal weight I need to get to the gym. 


I have absolutely NO EXCUSE not to exercise. To put myself to shame, check this out:

  • I have a fully equipped gym in my building only three floors down in the lift where I live. It is never busy and there's a big screen TV to watch while using the cardio equipment.
  • I bought a tiny iPod Shuffle in 2009 to use while exercising and I've NEVER used it!
  • I have a 25 metre swimming pool in the building that, like the gym, is never busy so I could be doing laps.
  • I live right near Sydney Harbour, considered one of the most beautiful harbours in the world, and has the best walking/running routes around it. Joggers and walkers are everywhere around here but yet, I sit back, trying to think up excuses!
  • Although I'm flat out doing study on the days Noo is at daycare, I really should be able to fit in an hour of exercise on those three days. 

How bad is that! I am so fortunate to have all these things right at my fingertips and I just take them for granted. The gym, the pool and the million dollar views around the Harbour cost me NOTHING to use! Zilch, nadda, zero cash. 


I told you guys how I joined a gym back in late November, well about two weeks after that I managed to get out of the membership. I just knew I wouldn't go. Who was I kidding? If it is such an effort to go three floors down, how the fuck did I think I was going to get in the car and drive 20 minutes to go to a gym! I astound myself sometimes. I really do.


I've just got to break out of this fear of exercise. That's what it has got to be that holds me back. Fear and laziness. What else could it be? I've just got to go. 


So the goal is to have three planned exercise sessions a week. These can include any combination of the following:

  • 45-60 minutes walking around the Harbour
  • 45-60 minutes at the gym doing a combination of cardio and weight resistance training
  • 30-45 minutes swimming laps

Hardcore facts to think about to keep me on track: Regular physical activity can...
  • Help prevent heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure
  • Reduce the risk of developing type II diabetes and some cancers
  • Help build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints reducing the risk of injury 
  • Promote psychological wellbeing.




I'll weigh in tomorrow morning as usual and set weight loss goal then. Basically I want to get back to losing a kilo a week. 


There is no one else that can do this but me! I've got the band, the psychotherapy skills, the cooking and food knowledge skills as well as the exercise equipment - all the tools to get me to be the happy, healthy and slim gorgeous woman that I want to be! 


Now I've just got to deal with the short term discomfort in order to accomplish the long term gain.


I CAN DO IT!

I HAVE TO DO IT!


I am never going to be completely happy with myself while I still look in the mirror and see a fat woman looking back at me. 


The last three issues are uni work, spending and getting back to work. As this post is pretty long already I'll leave those for another day.


I'm feeling pumped to get started on this diet/exercise challenge as soon as I get my fill on Tuesday.  So my ten day challenge starts on 11 January and concludes on 20 January. The diet doesn't end there, but hopefully this 10 day kick start will get the kegs moving again.



If you made it this far... thanks for reading.


V.



3 comments:

Silverhairedgoddess said...

yes, you can do it - take one day at a time and follow a food plan that you can live with and make part of your life easily!:)

Exercise will speed up weight loss - I am looking forward to seeing your progress !

YOU CAN DO IT !

Rachel said...

Those are great plans and BTW Ned is incredibly cute.

http://rachelthinwitin.blogspot.com

Josie said...

ok so my heart went out to you when i read the exercise part. so so so me. I have a tiny gym where I am with a treadmill, bike and a small weight machine. But I have ventured up the two flights of stairs to do it. Fear and laziness stops me. So I guess it's a fresh start for both of us. Keep in touch.
Jos

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love comments!