Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Everyone deserves a little passion

A little while ago I attended a PR event that was organised to promote the tropical fruits papaya and passionfruit. The event was held toward the end of May just as we here in Australia headed into winter. You might be thinking: what the...tropical fruit in winter? But as we in the southern states rug up for chilly days it is still lovely and warm up north.

There's nothing like a little taste of summer to brighten up a cold winter's day!

The venue was set up for a cooking demonstration with TV chefs Alvin Quah from Masterchef and My Kitchen Rules' sister duo, Sammy and Bella Jakubiak up front while the rest of us bloggers and media types stood around benches following each step as it was explained.


Left to right: Representatives from the papaya growers, passionfruit growers, Alvin Quah, Sammy and Bella Jakubiak.


Alvin did a papaya curry which was interesting but my favourite dish was the dessert by Sammy and Bella. Here is their recipe:

Sammy and Bella Jakubiak’s Coconut Cookies and Cream with Passionfruit

Serves 2
© Australian Passionfruit

Ingredients
35g (1/4 cup) icing sugar
75g coconut cream powder*
210ml whipping cream
3 Buttersnap biscuits
3 passionfruits

Method

  • Sift icing sugar and coconut cream powder, place in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
  • Bit by bit add half the whipping cream and using an electric beater whisk on high until light and fluffy. 
  • In a separate clean bowl use an electric beater to whisk remaining cream until soft peaks form. 
  • Using a spatula gently fold the two cream mixtures together until combined. 
  • Crumble the Buttersnap biscuits and evenly distribute between two dessert glasses. 
  • Top with cream mixture, then finish with passionfruit pulp. 


*Coconut cream powder is available at good Asian grocers but I nicked the one I used from the spare supply at the event.

Recipe by Sammy & Bella Jakubiak for Australian Passionfruit. © Australian Passionfruit


Photo taken by Claudia from Little Cottage Big Life of me at the event attempting to cook
while Instagramming at the same time.


My turn at home!


So for the purpose of this post and my never ending desire for all sweet things I gave this recipe a burl last week for my parents and me. I did it slightly differently out of pure laziness and for the love of my stick blender/beater/chopper/shake maker/all round kitchen magic wand.


Make sure you have all the ingredients and the recipe at hand.

Sift icing sugar and coconut powder into a medium sized bowl.


Add cream and whizz with the magic kitchen wand but don't overdo it, the wand is quick!
If the cream is whipped too much add more pouring cream and fold through until you get the right texture.


Add Butternut Snap Cookies to chopping part of magic kitchen wand but once again, go lightly.
You don't want to turn your bickies into tiny crumbs, you want some chunky bits in there too.
The recipe requires three biscuits but I used about eight because I was cooking for three
and I like it crunchy!


Get your classy glasses, like these ones my parents purchased the 1980s (or get really hip and use jars),
and evenly distribute bickie crumbs/chunks among them.
Add a dollops of the cream mixture evenly to each glass.


Tip from the passionfruit farmer: Cut the tops off passionfruit just as you would the top off a boiled egg, rather than in half.
That way less juice is likely to escape. Drizzle passionfruit over each glass of bickies and cream.


Voila! Easy, yummy, impressive looking passionfruit dessert.






How do you get a little taste of summer during winter? 


V.

Disclaimer: I was invited to the cooking demonstration but was under no obligation to blog about it. No money has exchanged hands. All opinions are my own in line with my disclosure policy.







SUBSCRIBE NOW! Enter your email address to recieve babblingbandit.me posts direct to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

4 comments:

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

OMG GET IN MAH BELLEH

Emily Morgan said...

Good on you for recreating! Nom, nom!

Seana Smith said...

I'm a great lover of passionfruit, the taste and smell are so strong, bloomin' marvelllous in yoghurt for brekkie. Love those strong flavours that give you great bang for your calorie buck, as it were. This dessert looks dangerously addictive.

Author Bek Mugridge said...

Oh I LOVE papaya and passionfruit!!
Fabulous blog post, I loved all of it, the event, the pics, recipe.
Sounds like a really fuin event Xx

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love comments!